Leaking is a basement problem that demands immediate intervention to prevent it from causing other, more serious issues.
They can be challenging to deal with as not every repair method will work for every leak because basement leaks can be repaired either from the inside or the outside, each with their own pros and cons.
Knowing which repair solution is the right one for your issue requires some investigation.
What’s The Problem?
Generally speaking, most basement leaks can be repaired from the inside unless they are a secondary result of significant foundation damage that requires external repair.
Knowing this, it’s critical that any leak is properly diagnosed and its source tracked.
Minor cement cracks that leak are fairly common and a basement problem that can easily be repaired from the inside.
When the cracks and leaks are caused by bowing walls and other substantial structural problems, exterior repair may be the only viable basement repair method.
Fortunately, most leaks can be corrected from the inside.
Interior Basement Leak Repairs
Unless your basement leak is caused by a major problem with the foundation, chances are it can be corrected from the inside using one of a number of basement leak solutions:
- Crack Repair Injections - Epoxy, polyurethane, or other materials can be injected into holes and cracks and around pipes and other protrusions to seal off the leak and keep moisture out as the injection material fills in voids and remains permanent.
- Waterproofing - Overall moisture issues and small leaks due to fine cracks can easily be repaired with a durable interior coating of basement waterproofing.
Beyond the ability to handle many basement leak problems from the inside, there are a few other reasons why it’s preferable to do so whenever possible:
- Simplicity - Any basement repair method executed from the inside will be a much simpler undertaking simply due to the fact that the foundation is accessible without excavation.
- Faster - Less-extensive interior leak solutions can usually be completed in a matter of hours.
- Lower Cost - Simpler interior injection and waterproofing repairs are very affordable in comparison to any type of more complicated exterior repair.
- Convenient - Can be done any time of the year regardless of the temperature outside or if it’s raining or snowing.
Exterior Basement Leak Repairs
Compared to inside repairs, outside solutions for the more minor basement problems is unwarranted.
The only option for repairing cracks from the outside is to excavate, locate the origin of the crack, and then install a patch over the foundation.
This type of repair is much more expensive, can only be done in dry weather and when the ground is not frozen, and may not be permanent as the patch could deteriorate over time.
Problems like bowed walls may require a repair from the outside if braces and supports must be placed.
Additionally, when an inside repair would cost more due to a need to rip out drywall, built-in home components, and other permanent fixtures in the basement, an exterior repair could actually end up less expensive.
Seek Help From An Experienced Professional
If you have a leaky basement, it’s essential to contact a skilled contractor who can diagnose the problem and provide the right professional leak solution to dry things out and prevent further damage.
In most cases, contractors can use simpler basement repair methods on the inside of the foundation to quickly remedy the problem.
Should a more substantial problem exist, a contractor will discuss the repair options with you to help decide whether inside or outside repair is more suitable for your situation!
Need Basement Problem Solutions in Wichita Kansas?
Contact AAA Basement to Discuss Your Basement Problems!
Call (316) 844-1615 to Find Out More!
Check Out Everyone Linking To This Article!